Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Mission Connexion Northwest - Part 4

Okay, so I lost my steam a little bit. :P

However, the most extensive portion of my blogging about the conference is over. Mostly it's because I personally received more out of the first part of the conference than the second. But there is still a little more I'd like to share.

The last two workshops I attended were less class-like than the first two. I took very sparse notes in the third workshop and I took no notes in the fourth. They were very awesome though.

The first workshop of the afternoon was presented by Voice of the Martyrs. The gal who ran the workshop gave a brief overview of the organization and the history behind it (fascinating and moving story, by the way).

We were about halfway through the workshop when we had some technical difficulties and weren't able to view a video that had been scheduled as part of the class. The gal didn't have anything to do for the last half of the workshop, but it so happened that a guy she knew from a Portland church was attending and he happened to be part of a group that regularly prays for and supports the persecuted church in North Korea. God works in amazing ways - he was able to share what the group at his church does and offered a ton of insight on how we can effectively pray for the church in North Korea.

For more info about what they do, visit http://www.prayforthepersecuted.com.

A random factoid that the gal shared with us: there isn't a single established church in Saudi Arabia. During the workshop I wasn't sure why, but that fact stuck in my brain. I found out in the next workshop why the Lord kept it in my mind.

The last workshop I attended was supposed to be a Muslim man sharing his testimony of how he came to know Christ. The workshop was canceled, but nobody saw the notice on the door and so we all filed into the chapel anyway. Turns out the guy who was supposed to speak had been in an accident and wasn't able to make it (I haven't heard, but I assume that he is okay because nothing was said otherwise). Another Muslim-turned-Christian had attended the previous session in the chapel and one of the conference volunteers asked him to share his testimony in lieu of canceling a session everyone had turned up for anyway.

I'm not going to share his story, a) it's not my story to tell and b) he shared his story at great risk to his own safety and the session wasn't even recorded. However, he is from Saudi Arabia and as soon as he told us that I knew that I had been in the Voice of the Martyrs session for a reason.

Can you imagine what extraordinary lengths God goes to to pursue His precious children? He plucked a man out of a country that literally does not have a single church in it and brought him all the way over here so that He could save him. Wow.

Suffice to say, this man has an incredible story. I can't share specifics, but I can tell you that our God is moving in mighty, mighty ways and He is pulling out all the stops to reach His children.

This session really exemplifies why I believe that everyone should make an effort to attend this conference next year. You may not feel called to missions, but all of us are called to go spread the Gospel in some way, shape or form. If you're not being led to serve as a missionary, go anyway and find out what organizations you can support and pray for. We have brothers and sisters all over the world who are literally putting their lives on the line to make sure Jesus' name is proclaimed to all nations. We have to be aware of what's going on out there and find our place in God's plan for reaching the world.

The things I saw and heard and experienced that weekend have changed my perspective and my life...how can I know about what's going on with the persecuted church and all of the people that have yet to be reached and not be transformed?

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."
~Matthew 28:19-20

No comments: