Thursday, January 28, 2010

From All Sides

Do you ever have those times when it seems like God is using every possible area of your life to send you a message? This is definitely one of those times. And it's so good. Granted, there's been a little conviction involved, but I'm so ecstatic to be hearing the Lord speaking so clearly into my heart that I don't really mind. :P

First, this Scripture has been coming to my attention over the past couple of weeks:

"Yet whatever gains I had, these I have come to regard as loss because of Christ. More than that, I regard everything as loss because of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things, and I regard them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but one that comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness of God based on faith." ~Philippians 3:7-9

And then, this song has been getting stuck in my head for the past few days (I haven't actually listened to this song in several months, go figure):

"Use me, break me, waste me on You, Lord
Ruin me, take me, waste me on You
For to die is to live...

To starve is to feast
And less of me is more of Jesus
Lord, I want it all
Lord, I want it all
If I lose my life
I gain everything
And at the cross
Away with all death's sting
Lord, I want it all
Lord, I want it all

There is power in the blood
There is victory in Jesus
Come in power, wash me clean
Overwhelm me with Your presence
There is power in the blood
There is victory in Jesus
Help me glory in the cross
Help me find my gain in loss"

~ I Want It All by Shane and Shane

And then! As if the message wasn't already clear enough, last night at youth group, Koby gave us a copy of a prayer by John Wesley that goes as follows:

"I am no longer my own, but Yours. Put me to what You will, rank me with whom You will. Put me to doing, put me to suffering. Let me be employed by You or laid aside for You, exalted for You or brought low by You. Let me have all things, let me have nothing. I freely and heartily yield all things to Your pleasure and disposal. And now, O glorious and blessed Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, You are mine and I am Yours. So be it. And the covenant which I have made on earth, let it be ratified in Heaven. Amen." ~John Wesley

I can't tell you how many times I've read this prayer and made it my own in the past 24 hours. I don't know how to describe just how deeply the Spirit has been impressing upon me the importance of laying myself aside for the sake of Christ. I feel a physical ache in my chest to know Him more deeply. To find my purpose solely in Him and NOT my circumstances or position in life. Truly, as long as I have Christ I have everything that I need.

Jesus, continue to move in my heart and my life. Teach me to pursue You, and only You, wholeheartedly. Help me to walk in Your will and to relinquish control of my life to Your strong and capable hands. It is my joy and true happiness to offer my life to You to do with what You will.

No comments: