Friday, April 1, 2011

Social media is a contradiction of terms

About 3 weeks ago, the teen girls in the Sunday school class I co-lead opted to do a media fast for 1 week. This was part of a series of challenges we did over a 10 week study on the beatitudes. The particular focus of the week we did the media fast was 'Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.' (Matt. 5:8) This was a great challenge for reflecting on the things that influence us most and how it affects the purity of our minds, hearts and spirits.

I was humbled to realize just how much time I was devoting to certain types of media, especially facebook (this was what my focus was, specifically, during the week). I was surprised to find that after about 24 hours of fighting with myself not to get on the computer, it really wasn't a struggle. It was refreshing to see the world around me, what is right here in front of my face and not only be aware of it, but to find that it was better than what I had previously thought was so awesome.

I had wanted to write about my experience that week, but I didn't have it all pieced together. I felt like there was so much God was trying to say to me and it was this sort of mish mash, but I've been sorting through it.

First, I don't know that I've ever experienced such a consistent sense of the Lord's presence than I did during that week. Because I was choosing to be more aware of what was going on around me, I could see Him everywhere. I had taken off my blinders and there He was.

Again, at many times during the week I just shook my head at myself and said, 'Really? This is what you've been spending your time doing and THIS is what you've been missing out on?'

Who would have thought that social media would make one more shut off to not only life around them, but also to the Lord's voice. I was more interested in what almost 500 other people had to say about every little detail of their lives than in pursuing intimacy with my heavenly Father. It just sounds weird even saying it, but that's what I was doing!

Not only that, but the Lord really convicted me of how I was using facebook. I thought I was doing pretty good...I had already stopped complaining about things through facebook for the most part (something I was convicted over last year) and instead chose to use facebook as a place of encouragement. I could post Scriptures and links to uplifting music...it was great. And it wasn't that I shouldn't be doing those things, but I found that when the Lord was really speaking to me or I had seen Him working in me and in the lives of those around me, I would post it on facebook first.

In those moments when I knew God was moving or laying something on my heart, I would tell the social media world about it first instead of thanking Him for the gift of His presence. For the blessing of seeing His hand moving. For speaking to my heart through His Word and through worship.

Instead of pursuing His heart further and offering gratitude, I would truncate our communion and rush to post a Bible verse or song lyrics on my page. Yes, it was from a heart that wanted to encourage others - I had just experienced the Lord and who doesn't want to share that? But at the expense of cheapening my relationship with the Savior? Whoa.

I was gone from facebook for 7 days. One week, people. And in that short space of time I saw an outpouring from the Father. I felt His presence like never before.

'Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.'

And I did see Him. And I want to see more of Him.

On another note, I realized something else during this fast. Just kind of a bigger picture sort of thing.

Being so connected to so many people and having access to 85 million news channels, websites and blogs is INSANE. Humans were not designed to be all-knowing. Only the Creator is omniscient. How overwhelmed do you get when you watch the news or try to keep up with all of your friends' status updates? We weren't made to see the big picture! God is aware of all things at all times and that's cool with Him. It causes the rest of us to explode.

Not to mention, when we are so worried about the entire planet all the time, what happens to our closest relationships? They suffer. We are no longer able to give ourselves over to true intimacy with those nearest and dearest to us. We can't be as compassionate as we need to be to those who are struggling within our arm's reach because we are setting our sights on people and situations that are out of not only our control, but our sphere of effectiveness.

I don't want anyone to take this to mean that we shouldn't know anything about the world around us or try to help others that are outside of our local region, but don't forget about your neighbors and family and friends because you're caught up in the barrage of information that comes at us from every angle 24/7. Take some time to unplug...remember who you are and Whose you are. Go out with a friend and find out how they're really doing. Take a meal to someone from church who's sick. Babysit for a couple who desperately needs a break.

It's so easy to offer our sympathies over facebook, but how about turning off the computer and offering a solution.

No comments: